Nobody really noticed but I'm back up and running again with just a few minor problems. Last week Ubuntu decided not to do what it was supposed to do. GDM gave error messages as soon as it started, no I don't know which ones as the characters were just little boxes, it complained about being unable to convert UTF-8. I installed KDM and was able to start a Gnome session but then programs complained about the locales. Installing KDE didn't help and upgrading to Hardy didn't do much either, I got myself in quiet a mess :)
Eventually I decided it was time to wipe out the drive and reinstall Ubuntu from scratch. I was able to backup my work and settings on to another box I have at home. Going over what to backup took some time and in the end I did forget something and made one mistake. The mistake isn's a biggie, I thought I archived my Tomboy notes but the archive only had the Tomboy log so I lost all my notes (grr) the thing I forgot has more impact, I forgot to archive my Getdeb building directory, I don't have my work of programs I build for Getdeb or myself for that matter. I always kept the latest build I did, the archive file and the diff.gz file that way it could quickly rebuild a a new version when it came out. It's not a big deal, I can download them from the Getdeb website for the programs I build but I do miss the stuff I build for myself. Oh well, just have to start over again.
- ▼ 2008 (35)